Class Session #15: Ecological Civics
Ecological Generosity! 50 min
- Highlight: There are many careers that are involved with plant growth.
- Engage–Ask: Who would you write a letter to, if you have a question about plants?
- Explore–Read: Read Thea’s Tree by Alison Jackson & Janet Pedersen. Guide students to identify the recipients of Thea’s letters. Who does Thea view as an expert on plant growth? Ask students who they would like to write a letter to about the class radish.
- Explain–Discuss: Who were the professionals that Thea wrote to about her seed? What key question did she ask each of these professionals?
- Evaluate–Write: Write a letter to one of the professional organizations mentioned in the story (or another one). Introduce yourself and the class project to grow a radish. Ask a question about radish growth that you would like to know more about.